Since you’ve said your new opener is working very well for you, I wouldn’t change it for the occasional “No”. What I would do is this, have a back up plan ready to go.
HERE’S WHAT WORKS FOR ME
When I occasionally hear a prospect respond with a “No, thanks” type of response I simply reply with:
“I understand your time is valuable and I certainly wouldn’t be calling if I didn’t think what I have to offer may be of some help to you. I would just need to ask you a few quick questions first to be sure, would that be OK?”
When you run this play, your prospect only has three options:
- They could say “NO” again. If that’s the case, end the call and move on. (By “move-on” I mean throw them back into the ocean and let your drip-marketing campaign take over) Sales people lose more time and money chasing prospects that don’t want to be caught and waste a lot of energy doing it. If your OPENER has been a great success for you but failed to pique this prospects interest and your backup plan response failed as well, go to the next prospect. Your job is to close as many qualified prospects as fast as possible. Not close every person that answers the phone.
- They could say “OK”. So, you’ve separated yourself from the rest of the sales call herd and earned the right (if not piqued their interest) to see what it is that you have to offer. BE READY! Don’t blow the opportunity with “Umm / ah, hmm” stuttering. Have your next question loaded and ready to go!
- They could say “I really am busy, but call me at ______” and now you’ve again earned their respect and set an appointment.
Of course your OVS (OPENING VALUE STATEMENT) backup plan isn’t an excuse for a poor opener. If you hear “No, thanks” / “Not interested” or “We’re all set (click)” on a regular basis (and I mean on a daily / weekly basis) that is your clue that your opener is missing the mark and is in need of some help.
CSS: Chief Sales Scientist
SalesBuzz.com (A 2011 Sales Training Company Watch List Award Winner!)
888-264-0562 ext. 1
TIRED OF MISSING QUOTA?
New 8-Week B2B Phone Skills Improvement Program Starts Soon!
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses from Cold and Warm Calls
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- Generate Higher Quality Leads Via Social Selling
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
Duration: 1 hour per week for 8 weeks
Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
Presenters: Michael Pedone