"I'm responsible for prospecting my own leads and the results I want aren’t there… Any advice?"
I’ve found that the salespeople who struggle the most to make quota have two things in common…
- They are using a flawed sales process (and in most cases don’t even know it)
- They call on low % prospects. A lot.
This is a deadly combination because even if you are the best of the best with respects to your actual sales process (what you say, when you say it, how you say it etc) if you are calling on low % prospects, you will still come out with less than stellar results – and will be exhausted, frustrated and broke in the end.
Know Your Niche - Get Rich
Successful prospecting starts with knowing who your targeted audience is.
Example: If you sell advertising and your niche audience is the ultra luxury car market, building your prospecting list to contain all the authorized Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce etc dealers in the United States can be a very effective strategy.
Sell to Common Folk - Go Broke
However, if you are a logistics company, making a list of all the companies that need shipping would not work out as well simply because the list would be too broad.
One of the keys to successful prospecting is finding your niche. Even though you can technically help all companies who require shipping, without a niche market to hit with a specific USP (Unique Selling Proposition) you’ll be looking for a needle in a haystack.
If you are responsible for developing your own leads, find your niche before doing anything else.
WARNING: If your method of prospecting is to look for a lead and call it, then look for another lead and call it etc, STOP.
This has to be one of the least effective ways ever invented to sell. You will have more success at selling when you “BUILD” your targeted list first and then make the calls.
I learned this once when starting a new job and the president who took me under his wing did not allow me to make any calls until I understood:
- Who their targeted audience was;
- How and where to find them and
- Had at least 250 prospects that matched the criteria he gave me, under my name in my CRM account.
He gave me a week to accomplish this. I completed the task in two and half days on the job and closed my 1st and 3rd calls - still a record to this day at that organization.
That’s the power of a) having a solid sales process and b) knowing how to find and call high % prospects.
Added Bonus of Identifying Your Niche
Once you’ve identified who your niche market is, you’ll be better equipped to also branch out into “social selling” activities that will attract high % prospects that will want to contact you and discuss what you have to offer them.
Hope this helps.
CSS: Chief Sales Scientist
SalesBuzz.com (A 2011 Sales Training Company Watch List Award Winner!)
8-Week B2B Sales Improvement Program
Learn How To:
- Eliminate "No, Thanks", "Not Interested" & "We're All Set" Responses from Cold and Warm Calls
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get VoicemailsReturned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- How to Really Qualify (I'll show you a better way)
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
Duration: 1 hour per week for 8 weeks
Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
Presenters: Michael Pedone