Yes. But they need to be handled correctly. Last thing any business owner wants is each individual sales rep in their company sending out mass email messages. So I would highly recommend that a marketing person be put in charge (with input from the sales team) to manage the drip email marketing campaign.
And remember… The purpose of a drip email marketing campaign for an inside sales person is to:
- Build the salesperson (or your company / organization) up in the prospects eyes as a trusted value added resource; And…
- Be “top of mind” as a potential solution provider when a “trigger event” happens on the prospects side.
What’s a “Trigger Event”?
A trigger event is when something happens that causes your prospects to recognize a problem. In essence, its what causes a “warm lead” to become warm.
Using a drip email marketing campaign that constantly brands you (or the company you work for) as an industry leader in solving specific problems for your target audience, when done correctly is a very effective strategy for turning cold leads into warm ones.
Should “Drip Email Marketing” Take the Place of Sales Calls?
Only if you want your sales to plummet. Make the sales calls first. Add the drip email marketing campaign second. All of the “no’s” you get – add those prospects to a solid drip email marketing campaign (that they can opt out of, of course) and watch how many “YESES” you start to get down the road as trigger events naturally happen.
Doing this will free up your time to research and call on new prospects. This way you are always having a steady stream of new calls / contacts being made rather than fishing in a stilled pond of old prospects.
What’s One of the Biggest Mistakes Inside Sales People Make When Using Drip Email Marketing Campaigns?
The same mistake as when they make their sales calls… They don’t know what to say to pique the prospects interest. For drip email marketing to be effective, you need to:
- Solve a problem your audience has.
- You want to HELP not SELL.
- You want to GIVE more than you TAKE.
I’m on this one salespersons drip email marketing campaign and she will never earn my business… here’s why:
- She has NEVER called me. I have no clue who she is other than that she always sends emails, asking for a 30-minute phone call. The drip emails she sends are all about trying to set an appointment. Her emails have done NOTHING to brand herself (or her company) as a leading solution provider for what I might need. The only thing it has done was reinforce that she really doesn’t know my business, or how she could help it grow – she has branded herself as a pesky salesperson. NOT GOOD!
- Her emails to me usually say something like “Because I had come across your company profile and thought there might be a fit…” Well, if we might be a fit, why not give me a real example of what you could possibly do for my company? Where’s the What’s In It For Me message?
Drip email marketing campaigns can be a great way to generate “hand raisers” (warm leads) and it can also be a fast way to damage your reputation and make your prospects not want to speak with you.
Use it the right way (by providing the right type of content) and you will eventually spend more of your calls with warm leads while freeing up time to make fresh new sales calls.
CSS: Chief Sales Scientist
SalesBuzz.com – Because Salespeople Don’t Want to Be Trained, They Want to Be BETTER!
888-264-0562 ext. 1
Tired of Being Rejected When Selling By Phone?
Register Now for Our Next 8-Week Phone Skills Improvement Program!
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses from Cold and Warm Calls
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
Duration: 1 hour per week for 8 weeks
Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
Presenters: Michael Pedone
SPECIAL BOGO OFFER: 2nd Registration is Free!