“I have a group of 10 sales reps, all with varying degrees of experience. At any time, it seems one or more will be suffering from call reluctance. How does that happen and more importantly, how do we get rid of it for good!?”
As a straight commission sales person for about 20 years now, I can confidently say that call reluctance is a direct result of failing to meet one’s own expectations.
You start with excitement; taking on the challenge to “win a sale,” but call after call, the rejections pile up and enthusiasm dwindles down.
In short, the sales person is failing to meet their (and their company’s) set expectations.
In sales, this happens for one of two reasons:
- The sales person is using a failed sales process. Or…
- The sales person is not executing a proven sales process, correctly.
Confidence comes when using a proven sales process in each phase of the sales call (openers / qualifying / presenting / closing). If you are using incorrect sales techniques, your rejection rate will be high and call reluctance will set in.
When you are using a proven sales process and you hear a final “NO” and the sale is over and you lost, your confidence isn’t shaken because of one of these three things:
1) They Aren’t a Good Fit.
2) You Made a Mistake.
You made a mistake, you know it and you learned from it. We ALL make sales mistakes. The difference is, if you are following a proven sales process, and you don’t win the sale, you will be able to pin point your error and learn from it. Education is expensive. Making sales mistakes are just another form of training – as long as you learn from them. It’s so important to take ownership of your mistakes, rather than point fingers or blame someone or something else. You can only learn from your mistakes if you are willing to admit them and seek how to avoid from making them again in the future.
3) Timing Truly Wasn’t Right, Right Now.
Sometimes you can have the perfect solution for your prospects and the timing just may not be right, right now for them to make a move. If you act appropriately, you will still get the deal. It just might not be on your time frame. But don’t worry, when the deal does come in, you’ll be glad it did, even if it’s after your quarterly numbers are turned in. (There’s always a new quarter that you’ll need new sales for)
However, when you use a sales process that fails more often then it works, and you are unsure why, the last thing you want to do is pick up the phone just to have your BUTT handed to you. And that’s when call reluctance walks in.
Two-Step Solution if You Have Call Reluctance
So, you have call reluctance and you want to get rid of it… Here’s what you do:
- Record your sales calls. Often times what you “think” you are saying and what you are actually saying may be different. Listening to your own sales calls may help you “hear” what needs to be done differently all on your own.
- Find someone you trust that is AT THE TOP OF HIS/HER GAME and ask them to listen and give feedback.
It’s important to avoid taking advice from others that have yet to achieve what it is that you are after. The world is full of people that will tell you what and how to do something. Listening to the ones that have already achieved what it is that you are after is the safest place to start your journey to higher achievements.
– Michael Pedone
Michael Pedone teaches inside sales teams how to pick up the phone and close business. He is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com – An online sales training company.
INSIDE SALES WORKSHOPS
How to successfully sell by phone – Live Online Sessions from Michael Pedone
SPACE IS LIMITED TO FIRST 50 REGISTRATIONS
Register Now for Our Next 8-Week Phone Skills Improvement Program!
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses
- Learn a step-by-step process for Cold Calling and Warm Calling
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Learn more effective Sales Questions to ask (and ones to avoid)
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
Duration: 1 hour per week for 8 weeks
Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
Presenters: Michael Pedone