I’m constantly getting bombarded with LinkedIn requests from sales people who are clueless on how to properly grab my attention. This is a common problem as more and more sales reps try and use LinkedIn for prospecting.
For starters, make sure the person you are reaching out to meets your “pre-qualified to be a suspect” checklist. Something as simple as being in an industry you help and having the title of someone who would normally at least be part of the decision making conversation.
Next, have a WHAT’S IN IT FOR THEM message that hits where it hurts.
If you don’t know what pain points your prospect would HAVE TO HAVE in order to ever be interested in your solution(s), step away from the keyboard and phone and don’t come back until you can clearly articulate that message.
The Bore-Me-To-Tears LinkedIn invite…
We’ve all got this one before… it goes something like this…
We have several common connections on LinkedIn and I’d like to connect.
Here’s a few other common (boring) invites:
- Hi (NAME), I’d like to join your LinkedIn network. OR
- I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn. Thanks OR
- I’d like to connect with you on LinkedIn.
How to send a LinkedIn Invite that Get’s Accepted, not Rejected
If you are going to send a LinkedIn invite to a potential prospect in order to eventually draw them into a dialogue to determine if a win / win opportunity exists, you’ll need to pique their curiosity and the best way to do that is to speak their language that drives the point home in as few words as possible.
Here’s an example:
Hi (name) –
I help Sales Directors reach their projected forecasts by getting sales reps to overcome call reluctance. I’ve already worked with other teams in the SaaS space who are using my playbook to grow revenue. I’d like to add you to my network on LinkedIn in case I may be of some assistance to you in the future.
Hope this helps!
– Michael Pedone
Michael Pedone teaches inside sales teams how to pick up the phone and close business. He is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com – An online sales training company.
INSIDE SALES WORKSHOPS
How to successfully sell by phone – Live Online Sessions from Michael Pedone
SPACE IS LIMITED TO FIRST 50 REGISTRATIONS
Register Now for Our Next 8-Week Phone Skills Improvement Program!
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses
- Learn a step-by-step process for Cold Calling and Warm Calling
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Learn more effective Sales Questions to ask (and ones to avoid)
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
Duration: 1 hour per week for 8 weeks
Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
Presenters: Michael Pedone