“I get nervous before making a sales call… Any suggestions?”
If a salesperson is “really nervous” before making a sales call that is only happening because one of three things are at play:
You’re a CAPTAIN WING-IT
You pick up the phone and say whatever “feels right,” which often leaves you battling the “No, Thanks,” “Not Interested” or “We’re All Set, Thanks!” responses. You have no sales path to follow. There’s no structure to your call or set of goals or list of achievable objectives laid out before you that would help you smoothly and calmly navigate successfully through each step of the sales call. You pick up the phone and hope for the best. And your results show it.
You have a game plan, but it’s flawed
Instead of eliminating common objections/blow-offs/stalls, you use a sales plan that tries to “overcome” them and your sales call sounds like all the others your decision maker gets every day.
The Right sales process. Poor execution
You haven’t taken the time to master the sales process. Role-playing should be a weekly if not a daily activity but is rarely done by you.
Honesty is Step One
If you want to swap “really nervous” with “extremely confident” when it comes to your sales calls, you need to start with being honest with yourself and identify which of the three is your primary reason for the situation you’re in. And then fix it instead of blaming the leads, the economy, pricing, competitors or management.
Good Vs. Bad “Nervousness”
Not all “nervousness” is bad; mind you. That feeling you get just before you “hit the stage” if you will is healthy. You never want that to go away because it helps you stay on your toes. But there’s a big difference between being nervous and being unprepared. One you want to keep. The other, you’ll want to fix.
– Michael Pedone
Michael Pedone teaches inside sales teams how to pick up the phone and close business. He is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com – An online sales training company.
HOW TO MAKE SALES CALLS
How to successfully sell by phone – Live Online Sessions from Michael Pedone
Register to Michael Pedone’s next live online 8-Week B2B Inside Sales Program and get your sales team all on the same page using a proven sales script customized to your industry.
Register Now for Our Next 8-Week Phone Skills Improvement Program!
- Eliminate “No, Thanks,” “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses
- Learn a step-by-step process for Cold Calling and Warm Calling
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Learn more effective Sales Questions to ask (and ones to avoid)
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
- Duration: 1 hour per week for eight weeks
- Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
- Presenters: Michael Pedone
Sign up now to Michael Pedone’s next live online 8-Week B2B Inside Sales Program and get your sales team all on the same page using a proven sales script customized to your industry.