New Month, New Quota, Same Old Results
“We seem to be in a rut and are consistently missing our monthly sales numbers by more than 30%. I have a great team – but they are struggling – how do we turn this around?”
I would suggest you start by looking at these three (3) areas first:
1) Your ICP – Ideal Customer Profile. Ask your sales reps (in a group or privately) to tell you WHO your ICP is. Can they nail it? Is it accurate and consistent? Or do they not have a clue?
Here’s an example of what IS and what IS NOT a well-defined ICP:
For me, our ICP looks like this (and yes, you can have more than one, however you will most likely want SDR’s / ISR’s to specialize / focus in each of those areas)
Acceptable ICP Description:
- Title: Small Business Owners / VP of Sales / Directors of Sales / Head of HR
- Size: Has 3 to 300 sales reps
- Vertical/Identifier: Sells B2B solutions between $2,500 – $250k
- Problem: Missed Numbers / Call Reluctance / Turnover / Leaving Money on the Table
- Pain: Can no longer afford to report missed numbers without offering a solution
UNACCEPTBALE ICP Description:
- Companies with inside sales reps.
Without having a solid ICP it’s going to be hard to have a winning OVS (Opening Value Statement) that will get prospects to want to speak with you. And if you don’t have a strong OVS to get prospects to talk to you, rejection will be high and call reluctance will soon be a 500-lb gorilla sitting on your sales reps desk.
2) Call Strategy: Does your sales team know how many call attempts they should make to each new prospect? Do they know what to say on their 1st, 2nd, 3rd attempt, etc? Do they know what to say when they get voicemail? Do they know what their email should say? Is it consistent across the board for all of your reps?
Not having a simple sales game plan in place that outlines the call strategy process means your team is flying by the seat of their pants and what happens in that scenario is chaos and low sales results.
3) Mandatory Morning Role-Play – Turn morning meetings into focused sales specific situations and listen to your reps during a round robin role-play session. Make the role-playing specific: Gatekeepers, Voicemails, Prospect answers the phone, etc.
Analyze these three things and chances are you will spot where you efforts need to be in order to get sales numbers climbing.
– Michael Pedone
Michael Pedone is a straight commissioned sales professional with 20+ years experience selling by phone. He is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com – an online sales training company that shows inside sales teams how to eliminate call reluctance to close more sales.