Prospecting: The Power of Value Proposition
“We offer a free trial of our software but I’m having a hard time getting prospects to sign up and test it out. It’s so frustrating not being able to get them to sign up. IT’S FREE! And it would help them so much. What can I do to get them to try it?”
Pushing FREE But WIIFM (What’s In It For ME)?
I was recently on the receiving end of this type of sales call where the sales person wanted me to try their free software / trial.
What I found interesting are two things that could possibly help you solve your dilemma.
1) The salesperson EMAILED me instead of calling me. Emails are WAY TOO EASY to ignore. Most sales people will say they prefer to “email” first in order to “warm up” the prospect, however, what most are really doing is finding a way to avoid being verbally rejected. In essence, they are suffering from call reluctance and don’t even know it.
Don’t think so? Let me ask you this… Have you ever sent an email to a prospect that started like this, “Just following up on the email I sent you last week regarding… BLAH, BLAH BLAH.”
It amazes me how many emails a salesperson will send me but has NEVER called me. Decision makers are extremely busy and you have to know how to grab and command their attention.
Which leads me to point #2… To grab and command the attention of a decision maker, you need to lead with a staggering WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME attention grabbing opening line.
When you lead with the fact that what you are offering has a FREE trial and that is the focus on what you are pushing, you are skipping a very important piece… Why should I care? What will your free trial do for me? How will it help me and my company?
Your “free trial” should be the CLOSE, not the feature.
I literally get “sales emails” that say things like:
“…turns your intellectual property into scientific assessments that run on our software platform designed for professional services firms”
What the heck does that even mean? Why would I care?
BUT WHEN I CALL I ALWAYS GET VOICEMAIL AND NO ONE EVER CALLS ME BACK!
They aren’t calling you back because you are most likely making the same mistakes in your voicemail message that you are in your sales email message.
BUT WHEN I DO CATCH THEM ON THE PHONE, THEY SAY THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED.
Again, it’s because you are making the same mistake on the phone like you are in your email and voicemail. The only difference is you don’t feel the pain of rejection when you send an email.
Fix the real problem – your messaging – and watch your call reluctance go down and your free trial downloads go up.
– Michael Pedone
Michael Pedone is a straight commissioned sales person with 20+ years experience selling by phone. He is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com – an online sales training company that shows inside sales teams how to eliminate call reluctance and close more sales.
ELIMINATE CALL RELUCTANCE
- How to Warm Up and Close Cold Leads
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills