Why Your LinkedIn Prospecting Isn't Working
Probably because you’re sending out emails like this one… (Names etc were changed to protect the guilty)
“Hi! A while back we connected on LinkedIn and I just wanted to keep in touch and see what we can help each other with. I am also curious to learn how your summer has been going.
Recently, I began working for a company called ——— that just launched a ————. I am curious if you know anyone that would like to help with this program as it is nationwide either as a customer or business builder.”
Why This Approach Fails
1) “A while back we connected on LinkedIn and…”
WHAT YOUR PROSPECT IS THINKING: I have over 2,000+ connections on LinkedIn. There’s no way I’m going to remember YOU unless you’ve done something (and continue to do something) that has me viewing you as a Subject Matter Expert in an area that would benefit me and my business.
2) “I just wanted to keep in touch”…
WHAT YOUR PROSPECT IS THINKING: I don’t even remember you, let alone see the need for us to “stay-in-touch”.
3) “…and see what we can help each other with”…
WHAT YOUR PROSPECT IS THINKING: OK what you really mean is how I can help you. But all I’m really interested in right now is how can someone help me!
WHAT YOUR PROSPECT IS THINKING: Ummm Don’t Care.
6) “that just launched a ————.”
WHAT YOUR PROSPECT IS THINKING: Reading this email is wasting my time. There’s nothing here that will help me solve ________.
7) “I am curious if you know anyone that would like to help with this program.”
WHAT YOUR PROSPECT DOES NEXT: Hits the Delete Button.
Truth Hurts AND Heals
OK listen… I get that you’re tired of cold calling all day and more truthfully, you’re tired of all the rejection you are getting from it. Using tools like LinkedIn can be very powerful if you take the right approach. The above example isn’t it.
It’s failing for the same reason two reasons that your cold calls are failing… Your approach and what you are saying.
If you want social selling to work for you (and cold calling too for that matter) you’re going to have to position yourself as a trusted value added resource. To do that takes time and patience. Something most sales people have very little of. But the payoff is HUGE when you get it down right. The key is to have the right plan for both. And that starts with using the “What’s In It For Me” with the “ME” being your prospects.
CSS: Chief Sales Scientist
SalesBuzz.com (A 2011 Sales Training Company Watch List Award Winner!)
Tired of Sales Call Rejection?
8-Week B2B Sales Improvement Program
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses from Cold and Warm Calls
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
Duration: 1 hour per week for 8 weeks
Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
Presenters: Michael Pedone
Group Rate Discounts Available: Yes