TRUE or False Voicemail Question
I was reading a sales blog post that was giving advice on “voicemail” that said:
“The only time you should be leaving a voicemail for a new prospect is when you have been referred to them”
This is categorically FALSE and extremely bad sales advice.
The argument made was “if they never heard of you, returning your phone call is extremely low”.
I have news for all salespeople – EVERYTHING related to SALES is EXTREMELY LOW. This is why it’s so important to have better messaging and sharper sales skills than your competition.
If you are doing straight up outbound cold calling, a 10% or higher response rate to your voicemail / email (always send an email right after leaving a first-time call voicemail) should be your goal.
If you’re frustrated with your ROI from voicemails, here’s where you need to investigate:
No one bats 1000% in sales. But you should be getting at least a 10% or greater ROI on your voicemail/email combos. And I’m NOT talking about OPEN RATES because open rates won’t pay your car payment, mortgage or your student loans. If you’re expectations are in line, and you’re not hitting 10% or greater, let’s take a look at your “prospect profile”…
You could have the best message in the world and it will fall on deaf ears if you are speaking it to the wrong crowd. Make sure you are building a pre-qualified lead list of suspects that match your basic KPI’s (Key Prospecting Indicators) The basics can be as simple as INDUSTRY, LOCATION & TITLE.
Here’s an Example of Mine:
- INDUSTRY: Sells Outbound B2B
- LOCATION: USA / CANADA
- TITLE: OWNER/PARTNER if Small Business; DIRECTOR / VP Sales or Business Development if Mid-to Large Business
Change Your Message:
If 1 and 2 above are on point, and your voicemail / email response rates are not hitting the mark, it’s time to change your message.
Remember, it’s WHAT you say and HOW you say it so role-play with your team, record your message and be open to critiques.
Michael Pedone teaches outbound sales teams exactly what to say to get sales conversations started with hard to reach decision makers. He is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com – An online sales training company.
ELIMINATE CALL RELUCTANCE
- How to Warm Up and Close Cold Leads
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills