How Many Dials Per Day get the Best Sales Results?
“How Many Dials Per Day get the Best Sales Results?”
I’ve written about this numerous times in the past and my answer is still the same.
I’ve been most successful when consistently making:
The BEST INSIDE SALES TIPS, SCRIPTS & TECHNIQUES Delivered Weekly
60-dials and/or 3-hours of talk time per day.
Now before anyone throws a fit over those numbers one way or the other, take the time to hear what I’m about to say…
The person that taught me this rule of 60-dials and/or 3 hours of talk time was someone that started at the bottom rung of the corporate ladder and worked his way up to becoming the President of a 30-million dollar-a-year business.
When he hired me, he freely gave me one of his best secrets to success (he actually gave the “secret” to everyone, but to be blunt, I was the only one that listened and WANTED to follow that formula – everyone else resisted and made excuses to try and justify why they didn’t hit those numbers – I always outsold the rest of the team).
Salespeople today are being lied to and misled.
They are being told to “not make cold calls” and being told to make “warm calls by researching a prospect first”. Well, I have news for you – if you’re spending more than 5 minutes researching a prospect’s background, you’re most likely suffering from call reluctance.
I’m all for research, but I know exactly what to look for in a prospect. The basics are simple:
- Vertical – Is the company in a space that your product/service excels in.
- Title – Does the person I’m about to call at least have the Title of someone who is normally involved in the decision-making process for what I offer.
That’s about all 99% of salespeople out there need to know before they pick up the phone.
Most salespeople today spend way too much time researching, and then they invest hours trying to craft the perfect email, only to have it deleted by the prospect seconds after it was sent.
The Brian Tracy Rule
One of the things I learned from Brian Tracy is to do the tasks that will make you the most amount of money. If you are going to do EXTRA research (and I’m not saying you shouldn’t, I’m saying you don’t have to do as much as you’ve been told), make sure you do your EXTRA research during NON-CALLING hours.
If you want to do additional research on your leads, be disciplined enough to do it during non-calling hours. Researching from 7 am till 8 am is fine – you most likely don’t want to call your prospects at 7 am anyway. But researching during prime calling time is NOT effective time management.
Structure Your Day
The formula that I’ve found to work best is this:
- Commit to making 40-dials before Noon
- Make 20-dials from 1 pm till 5 pm.
Making 40-dials before Noon will:
- Set you up nicely for afternoon callbacks
- And it will take a lot of pressure off YOU because now you only need to make 20-dials between 1 pm and 5 pm.
Do Call Backs Count as a Dial?
YES! So if you make 35-dials before Noon plus get 5 callbacks, that’s 40 calls.
What About the 100-Dials Per Day Mantra?
If you’re making 100+ dials per day, you aren’t having any meaningful conversations. And if that’s the case, your Opening Value Statement and your Engagement Questions are the problem. Fix those and you’ll start having more conversations that lead to a fatter pipeline.
Some days you may only be able to make 30 calls or so but your talk time will be in the 3+ hours range and that is totally fine! Other days you may make 62 calls but only have 90-minutes talk time. It will all balance out if you use those two metrics.
And as my Mentor once said, “Give me 3-hours of legitimate talk time, I won’t care what you do with the rest of your day”.
– Michael Pedone
Michael Pedone is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com. An online sales training company that shows inside sales teams how to: avoid being rejected by gatekeepers, leave voicemail messages that get callbacks, and overcome tough pricing objections.
THE “SHARPEN YOUR INSIDE SALES SKILLS” WORKSHOP PROGRAM
Our Next 8-Week Phone Skills Improvement Program
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses
- Learn a step-by-step process for Cold Calling and Warm Calling
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Learn more effective Sales Questions to ask (and ones to avoid)
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
Duration: 1 hour per week for 8 weeks
Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
Presenters: Michael Pedone