Great question. It tells me that you are a self-motivated individual who wants to have a say in their fate. You are already a step ahead of the herd.
Are We Talking “Activity” or “Results” Sales Goals?
“Activity” sales goals are what you do on a daily, weekly, monthly basis to achieve your “Results” goals.
Activity Goals (Also known as PROCESS GOALS)
My personal activity sales goals have ranged anywhere from:
- Listen to motivational audio books on the way to work
- Get to work at least 15 minutes early (if you’re on time, you’re late)
- Role-play for 15-minutes
- Make 60+ dials per day and or have at least 3 hours of talk time
- Read one new sales book a quarter
- Attend new sales seminars and or webinars every 6-months
Setting these types of “activity goals” were aligned to help me achieve my “results” goals.
Results Goals (Also known as OUTCOME GOALS)
Early in my sales career, the individual sales goals started with “make enough money to pay the bills”.
The funny thing about achieving a goal is you tend to want to set another one a little higher.
So “making enough to pay the bills” quickly grew to:
- Pay-off debt;
- Kids College Fund;
- Build a Retirement Fund.
Most salespeople have a goal to get into the 6-figure bracket. That was a big thing for me as well. But the goal wasn’t about the “money”. It was about what the money could do. The more we earn, the more choices we have. And the great thing about sales is, there’s no financial ceiling. The better we are at what we do, the more we can earn. The more we earn, the more options we have available to us.
I’m not a fan of setting “sales goals” just to set them. There has to be a reason. Something that springs you out of bed and has you burning the candle late into the night.
Tap into what really motivates you – your “results” goals – and then create a list of “activity” goals that when done consistently day-in and day-out, will ensure you of reaching your destination.
And just as the sky is the limit as far as our earning potential goes in sales, so too should be your goals. Find what was planted deep inside you and get to it.
– Michael Pedone
Michael Pedone teaches inside sales teams how to pick up the phone and close business. He is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com – An online sales training company.
INSIDE SALES WORKSHOPS
How to successfully sell by phone – Live Online Sessions from Michael Pedone
SPACE LIMITED TO FIRST 50 REGISTRATIONS
Register Now for Our Next 8-Week Phone Skills Improvement Program!
- Eliminate “No, Thanks,” “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses
- Learn a step-by-step process for Cold Calling and Warm Calling
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Learn more effective Sales Questions to ask (and ones to avoid)
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
- Duration: 1 hour per week for eight weeks
- Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
- Presenters: Michael Pedone