The “Butterflies” Cold Call
“I get really, really nervous every time I have to pick up the phone and make a cold call. How do I solve that?”
This is a great question. I’ve made over 100,000 cold calls in my sales career and I have a little secret for you… I still get the “butterflies” every time I pick up the phone and guess what… I wouldn’t have it any other way. Here’s why…
It keeps me alert, focused and in the moment
Sales is a tough, tough game. I don’t care what anyone else says or the “appearance” that they give on social media. Sales is always a going to be a “what have you done for me lately” atmosphere and you’ll never be on autopilot or easy street.
You can be the biggest, baddest lion in the jungle and you still have to get up every morning and hit the ground running or you will starve.
Yes, inbound warm leads (hand raisers) are great however most organizations cannot survive on those alone and therefore need commissioned sales reps to go hunting.
So if you’re a hunter you need to know that there’s a big difference between being “nervous” (or really, really nervous, as you mentioned) and having butterflies.
Being nervous means you are lacking confidence.
Having butterflies means you are ready, prepared and focused on the challenge.
Here are a few sales tips that may help you make the switch from nervous to ready…
1) Take the Pressure off of yourself by knowing that it is NOT your job to close every lead you contact. The job description of a sales person isn’t to “close every lead” but rather to “close as many qualified prospects as fast as possible”. Not every lead is qualified.
2) Call to Help, not Sell. By calling with the genuine attitude to see if you can help a prospect, it takes the pressure off of you and them. Your tone will be more inviting and when you run into a prospect that does not want help, you won’t take it personally.
3) Map it out. Sales is a process. You should know what questions to ask, when to ask them, how to ask them, why to ask them and what to do with the responses you get. The sales call frame work is repeatable and is your compass or map. When you have the right sales map, you can take detours when needed without getting lost.
– Michael Pedone
Michael Pedone teaches inside sales teams how to pick up the phone and close business. He is the CEO/FOUNDER of SalesBuzz.com – An online sales training company.
LOW CONFIDENCE = SMALL PAYCHECK
If you’re tired of missing sales quota because prospects aren’t taking your calls, answering your emails and they’re ignoring you on LinkedIn here’s your chance to fix that by learning directly from Michael Pedone in his Live Online Weekly Sales Workshops.
CLASSES STARTS SOON!
Register Now for Our Next 8-Week Phone Skills Improvement Program!
- Eliminate “No, Thanks”, “Not Interested” & “We’re All Set” Responses
- Learn a step-by-step process for Cold Calling and Warm Calling
- Neutralize Gatekeepers & Get Voicemails Returned
- Ask Engaging Questions Instead of Probing
- Improve your Qualifying Skills
- Learn more effective Sales Questions to ask (and ones to avoid)
- Give Stellar Presentations & Handle Objections
- Close Follow-up Calls and Get Targeted Referrals
- How to Set & Achieve Your Toughest Sales Goals
- Improve Your Time Management Skills
Duration: 1 hour per week for 8 weeks
Where: Online @ your desk, conference room or home
Presenters: Michael Pedone
REVIEW COURSE OUTLINE
GET WORKSHOP DATES & TIMES HERE